awordfromstephanie

Art, Ramblings, and Thoughts.


Leave a comment

Week 9

Hello everyone. This past we jumped further into our final project (which I must say I’m pretty excited about!). The major assignment we had to complete was a “Style Tile”. A Style Tile is a design that consists of typographic, color and interface elements that convey the idea of what the website will look like. This is mine…

Image

It was hard to choose different colors and fonts for me. Mainly because I like so much and I’m very indecisive (haha). The site I used to download fonts was http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ . I used http://www.cgtextures.com/ for the different texture samples.

The following links are to different opinions of what good typography is and how to maximize is legibility. Also the last link shows good pairings of texts.

http://www.howdesign.com/design-creativity/fonts-typography/web-typography-revolution/

www.goodwebfonts.com/legibility_twd.pdf

http://www.goodwebfonts.com/

http://designshack.net/articles/css/10-great-google-font-combinations-you-can-copy/

 

 


Leave a comment

Week 8

During this past week, we finalized our banners as well as worked further into final website project. Instead of doing a website based on Chili’s (the restaurant I work at), I’ve decided to do a website about my couponing group. I know it’s silly that I coupon at 22 years old, but trust me- it’s worth it! I don’t why I didn’t think to do this as my project first! Ha…

Apart of the final project assignment this week, we had to complete a Design Document. A Design Document is essentially a planning source that provides information to your client about what you intend to do. It includes a cover sheet, a project profiler, a flowchart, and storyboards.

This week we also covered a lot of reading. We covered stock photography- which consists of existing photographs that can be licensed for specific uses. Most stock images come in one of two licensing terms- royalty free, or rights managed. Royalty free basically offers the ability to use an image in an unlimited number of ways for a single license fee. Rights managed is an individual licensing agreement negotiated for each use, with an option for exclusivity in an industry or for a period of time. http://www.gettyimages.com    is a popular stock photography database.

The following links also provide insight as to what websites are “bad” and what exactly makes for a “bad” website…

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.html

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040510.html

Webpagesthatsuck.com


Leave a comment

Week 6/ Week 7

Since I was unable to update my blog last week, I’m just going to review everything from this week and the past week. 🙂

Last week, we mainly worked on our banners. Originally I had come up with the idea of incorporating a harvest moon as the focal point and having a forest in the background. After looking over some suggestions, I decided to add some stars to the background and change up the trees to not make them look so flat. I also decided to switch the Anne Arundel Community College logos.

We also reviewed how to do a tiling background. This I will admit, was hard for me to accomplish. Even after reviewing the lectures over and over. But eventually, I was able to get close to what I wanted. Here is the background tiling image…

This week, we had to incorporate animation. I decided to move the MyAACC text and have a couple stars fluttering in the background.

Also, last week we had to decide what we wanted to do for our final website. The only idea that I could really come up with is the restaurant Chili’s. I’ve been a waitress here for a little over two in a half years. Unfortunately I’m not associated with any other small local groups or anything like that. Hopefully this will be sufficient…


Leave a comment

Project 4

Originally, I was really looking forward to this assignment. However, after jumping into this project, I realized there was a lot more work that needed to be done than I had thought. I’m not really satisfied how the left eye turned out, but I feel like there wasn’t much else I could do with this.

 


Leave a comment

Week 5

This week we strayed a little from DreamWeaver and jumped into Fireworks. I enjoy the fact that a lot of the tools and different properties are a lot alike in most of the Adobe programs. At first it took me a little while to get used to the layout of Fireworks. But after I played around for while, I started to get a feel for using this application. I must say, I do enjoy it!

For our next project, our class will be designing a banner for our Colleges’ website. Basically we have to incorporate “fall inspiration” as well as our personal creativity. Honestly, coming up with a design isn’t as easy as you may think. We had to stray away from holiday concepts, and we obviously had to avoid clashing ideas with other students. So, sticking away from leaves and tress, I decided to come up with a design featuring the harvest moon. Here is a rough sketch up…

It’s fairly simple now, but I’m excited to see what I come up with!